Can You Get Food Poisoning From Onion Rings?

Can You Get Food Poisoning From Onion Rings

If you enjoy appetizers, you’re probably familiar with onion rings. Whether eaten alone, with barbeque sauce, or with some cheese dressing, onion rings are excellent. We love that onion rings have a flavor that is simultaneously crunchy, tasty, sweet, and salty.

Many people, including us, appreciate that diverse sandwiches can be made better by adding onion rings. There is nothing not to love about onion rings. Even though onion rings are delicious, we recently learned there may be a link between them and food poisoning.

Based on different questions from many people, we decided to write out what we know about this. Can you get food poisoning from onion rings? Find out all we know below. 

Quick answer: Yes, you can get food poisoning from onion rings. This is because onion rings are made mainly from onions, which tend to be infected by salmonella, a bacterium causing food poisoning. 

Specific pathogens, such as parasites, bacteria, and toxins, cause food poisoning. Bacteria appear to be the most common cause of food poisoning among these three. While different bacteria cause food poisoning, certain bacteria are more prevalent than others. Some of them are Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes, E. coli, etc. 

Onion Rings And Food Poisoning

The main ingredient for onion rings is onion. Onions are widely cultivated vegetables, often used as a spice for different dishes worldwide. Apart from being used as a spice, onions can be used for onion rings, which is an appetizer widely known all around the world.

Onion rings are made with a combination of round-cut onions and fried in a flour batter. While onion rings are made from main vegetables and fewer animal products, it can be hard to find the link between them and food poisoning.

This is because animal products are the primary carriers and hosts of pathogens that cause food poisoning.

However, the onion ring does cause food poisoning. It was recorded one time that onions distributed in 50 states have been contaminated with salmonella infection, and cases of food poisoning have been reported in almost 43 states in the United States. 

Onion Rings & Salmonella Explained

Salmonella is a bacterium that causes food poisoning when it is consumed and after an incubation period. Salmonella causes gastrointestinal issues and is mainly identified by its symptoms, such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach aches, fever, etc.

The symptoms can begin to show within 4 to 6 days of contracting the infection and can last anywhere from 3 to 7 days, depending on many factors. Children and people with weak immune systems have a higher tendency to develop severe symptoms of salmonella infection.

While salmonella infection can be treated without a visit to the hospital, it is advised that you visit the hospital if it’s been over 3 days. 

If you get food poisoning from buying onion rings, there is a high chance that the poisoning is a result of the hygiene of the area where the onion rings are made. Bacteria causing food poisoning can be transmitted from one food to another via utensils, surfaces, and humans.

It is recommended that you only make your onion rings at home or ensure you are buying them from a highly hygienic vendor.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Onion Rings Make You Sick?

Yes, onion rings can make you sick if they are contaminated by bacteria causing food poisoning. Sickness after eating onion rings may also be a result of an onion allergy. We suggest you confirm whether you are allergic to onions before treating food poisoning.

Why Do Onion Rings Upset My Stomach?

An upset stomach after eating an onion ring may be a result of food poisoning. specifically, salmonella infection. If your onion rings have been infected, then you may get stomach upset, which is one of the symptoms of salmonella infection. Stomach upset can also be caused by an allergy. Either an allergy to onions or an ingredient used to make onion rings.

Can You Get Food Poisoning From Cooked Onions?  

No, you may not get food poisoning from the cooked onions. This is because cooking exposes bacteria to heat, which gets rid of them. Hence, when your food is properly cooked, the bacteria causing food poisoning will die.

What Happens If You Eat Uncooked Onion Rings?

Eating uncooked onion rings can cause food poisoning, which can result in symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, fever, abdominal cramps, etc.

How Long Can Onion Rings Be Left at Room Temperature?

Onion rings can be left at room temperature for up to 5 hours. However, it is advised that you do not leave your onion rings at room temperature for this long. This is because when food is left at room temperature for a long time, bacteria can multiply in it, increasing the likelihood of more bacteria making you sick. We suggest you wrap them and keep them in the fridge.

How Can I Store My Onion Rings?

Onion rings should be stored in the fridge. You can keep them in a Ziploc bag or an airtight container. For uncooked onion rings, you should place them in the freezer until you are ready to cook them.

Final Thoughts  

No doubt, onion rings are one of the best appetizers out there. However, we suggest you either make them at home (so be sure they are hygienic) or buy them from a healthy vendor.

We also recommend you properly clean and sanitize your utensils and kitchen countertops to reduce the spread of infection.

Was this article helpful?
Leave a Reply
Previous Article
Can You Make Whipped Coffee With K- Cup?

Can You Make Whipped Coffee With K- Cup?

Next Article
How Long Can Lettuce Sit Out?

How Long Can Lettuce Sit Out? (Quick Answer)

Related Posts