Can You Get Food Poisoning from Rare Steak?

Can You Get Food Poisoning from Rare Steak?

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to cooking and eating steak. There is a sizable audience who enjoys their steak “Rare.” Many people appreciate their steak for various reasons, ranging from the color to the taste. Rare. There has been a lot of discussion about the foods we eat and their relationship to food poisoning.

Quick answer: Yes, Rare steak can cause food poisoning. This is because it is undercooked at 125 to 130 degrees F. A well-cooked steak should be cooked at 165 degrees F and above. 

Food poisoning, often known as food-borne sickness, is a disease caused by eating contaminated or infected food. It is frequently distinguished by symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, stomach soreness, and others.

Specific pathogens cause major food poisoning: bacteria, viruses, and parasites. When these viruses come into contact with food, they contaminate it, and when humans consume it, they cause food poisoning.

As a result, many rare steak lovers wonder if rare steak can cause food poisoning. Do you have a similar question? This article has all the answers you require.

Can You Get Food Poisoning from Rare Steak?

Can You Get Food Poisoning from Rare Steak?
Image: Derrick Riches

Bacteria are the most common cause of food poisoning among these pathogens. The bacteria responsible for food poisoning are mainly; E. coli, salmonella, listeria monocytogenes, staphylococcus aureus, etc.; salmonella is known to be the most significant cause of food poisoning.

These pathogens can be found on nearly any item ingested by humans; however, they are most usually found in raw meat, poultry products, water, vegetables, etc.

Although these viruses are found throughout the food we eat, exposing them to heat or cooking is a proven way to kill them. This is why it is usually suggested that food be thoroughly and adequately prepared before serving. You should generally cook your food at 165 degrees to kill viruses.

The lowest level of cooking steak is rare. This level of steak is exceptionally soft and tasty. Because of the blood in the meat, the inside part of the meat is frequently bright red. Although rare steak is flavorful and simple to chew, it is not safe to eat.

It is cooked at 125 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit, which is not high enough to kill hazardous bacteria in raw meat. Rare steak is undercooked, and as a result, there are possibilities of harmful bacteria in the meat, which can cause food poisoning when consumed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is It Safe To Eat Steak A Little Pink?

Yes, steak with a pink inner color is medium steak and is considered safe for consumption. This is because it was cooked at 145 degrees F and above. Also, it was discovered that harmful bacteria are commonly found on the outer part of the steak, which is exposed to high heat. Hence you can eat steak that has a pink inner color.

How Long After Eating The Undercooked Steak Will I Feel Sick?

If you have eaten a contaminated, undercooked steak, the time you begin to feel sick may depend on how severe the sickness is. However, the symptoms should start from 30 minutes to 3 weeks after.

Is rare blue steak Safe?

A rare blue steak should be completely safe as long as you have it appropriately cooked; hence you have to ensure the entire outer surface of your steak is seared before eating. The high-heat searing method should help get rid of any bacteria that might be on the surface of the meat.

Is it safe to eat steak rare or medium rare?

Medium rare can be safe enough to eat as cooking is essential to get rid of any bacteria and viruses that can be present in the meat. Solid cuts of beef should be cooked at a high enough temperature to kill the pathogens for safe consumption. There is no way to guarantee the safety of rare meat but ensure the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145℉ before consumption.

Final Thoughts

The most important thing to look out for in food is its health. While rare steak is delicious, it can cause you harm because it is undercooked, hence giving license to harmful bacteria.

It is recommended that you only eat medium to adequately cooked steak. If you experience any food poisoning symptoms, we recommend you consult your doctor before it becomes severe.

Was this article helpful?
Leave a Reply
Previous Article
Can You Get Food Poisoning from Yorkshire Pudding?

Can You Get Food Poisoning from Yorkshire Pudding?

Next Article
Do Canned Foods Go Bad In Heat?

Do Canned Foods Go Bad In Heat?

Related Posts